National Food Technologist SC8 Service Contract Dodoma Liaison Officeaoût 24, 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
|Education:||University degree in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Control, Nutrition, or other related field.|
|Languages:||Fluency (level C) in both written and oral communication in English and Swahili languages.|
Job holder will be reporting directly to the Head of the Liaison Office in Dodoma and Technically to the Head of Supply Chain at the Country Office in Dar Es Salaam. Job holder operate with a high degree of independence and may provide technical support to specific food processing initiatives, and will be involved in the day–to–day Supply Chain activities and analytical work.
To collect, analyze and report on information as a basis for maximizing the efficiency of food technology activities and enhancing food risk assessment and management in-country operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Collate and analyse data and contribute to the preparation of reports relating to food quality and safety, to inform risk management and mitigation, and contribute to a WFP wide view of food technology activities.
2. Prepare evidenced-based recommendations for management on control measures to combat and reduce food commodity losses and food quality and safety issues.
3. Prepare evidenced-based recommendations for management on tools to enable rapid response to situations with food safety concerns.
4. In the event of food safety incidents, support investigation exercises to enable lessons learned to be documented and shared, to reduce the re-occurrence of the incident.
5. Support project teams on the food technology aspects of food assistance programs, ensuring compliance with WFP food and safety regulations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES CONTINUED
6. Contribute towards the development and/or implementation of protocols and tools relating to food technology issues, ensuring alignment with WFP procurement and supply chain strategy, policies, and plans.
7. Support the capacity building of WFP staff, food suppliers (main and farmer organization under small-holder farmers projects/programmes, and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
8. Identify and build productive relationships with supply chain colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
9. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES CONTINUED I
10. Follow emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
11. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
12. Any other official business as assigned by the Supervisor.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Food Quality Management||Provides guidance to team on the appropriate handling, storage, and preservation of food types to optimize use of resources.|
|Research & Development||Coordinates research on food properties and local needs using awareness of available resources (e.g., literature and research on public health).|
|Commodity Knowledge||Demonstrates thorough knowledge of food safety and quality and product optimization concepts and principles to implement protocols and tools to relating to food technology issues.|
|Incidence & Risk Communication Management||Demonstrates understanding of when to handle minor risks and/or escalate larger issues to appropriate authorities.|
|Ethics & Compliance||Demonstrates ability to collect, collate and report records relating to ethics and compliance to assist in the analysis of audit findings.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
|Experience:||At least 5 years of experience in the related field.Experience working in an emergency response capacity.Experience in implementing food technology-related tools and protocols.Experience working on food assistance programs development projects.Experience in mentoring junior staff.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Only Tanzanian nationals should apply for this position.
Only qualified shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for receiving applications is 28 August 2023.